Jim M. Perdue Sr.
Jim M. Perdue, Sr. is Of Counsel to Perdue & Kidd. Mr. Perdue received both his Bachelor of Science cum laude and his Juris Doctorate cum laude from the University of Houston.
Mr. Perdue has had over five decades of success in securing substantial and in some cases unprecedented multi-million dollar verdicts and recoveries for his clients. He has lectured across the country, speaking before law schools, scientific associations, medical groups, bar associations, trial lawyer organizations, and colleges of advocacy, delivering over 400 presentations on topics including the substantive law of malpractice and product liability, professional responsibility, rules of evidence, the psychology of jury persuasion, special issue submission, and trial strategy and technique.
He has authored texts and treatises on the substantive law of medical malpractice and product liability. The appellate courts of Texas have often cited his books, law review, and law journal articles. Moreover, numerous appellate opinions in cases he has prosecuted have pioneered the way for today’s victims of negligence, defective products and corporate indifference.
In 1989, Forbes magazine dubbed Mr. Perdue “King of the Malpractice Lawyers.” He has been a trailblazer in plaintiffs’ litigation for the past fifty plus years. He is one of the most well-known medical malpractice and product liability trial lawyers in Texas.
- Bachelor of Science cum laude, University of Houston, 1961
- Juris Doctorate cum laude, University of Houston School of Law, 1963
- Adjunct Professor 1974-1982, 1989, and 2007 to present, University of Houston School of Law
- Texas, 1963
- S. Supreme Court
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1978
- Charter Member and Diplomat of the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, 1976
- Board Certified in civil trial advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1990
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Committee Chairman of the Year, Houston Bar Association
- Outstanding Alumnus, Distinguished Alumnus-Order of the Coif, and Distinguished Alumni, University of Houston College of Law
- Gene Cavin Award for outstanding contribution to continuing legal education, The State Bar of Texas
- Clarence Darrow Award, Harris County Democratic Lawyers’ Association
- Lifetime of Excellence in Advocacy Award, The Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- The Best Lawyers in America, 1983 to present
- AV Rated 5.0/5.0 by Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2010
Professional Association Memberships
- A. White Dispute Resolution Institute
- American Association for Justice
- The American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys, Diplomat and Founding Member
- The American Board of Trial Advocates, Diplomat and Houston Chapter Past President
- The American College of Legal Medicine
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Advisory Board to the Health Law and Policy Institute, University of Houston College of Law
- The Civil Justice Foundation
- Gulf Coast Legal Foundation, Former Director
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Bar Foundation
- Houston Law Review, Director
- Houston Medical/Legal Society, Past President
- Inner Circle of Advocates
- International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- The National Board of Trial Advocacy
- National Health Lawyers Association
- The Law Science Academy
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Fellowship Member and Director Emeritus
- State Bar of Texas Committees for Pattern Jury Charge, Judicial Qualifications Tenure, and Continuing Legal Education
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- University of Houston Law Alumni Association, Former Secretary/Treasurer
Publications and Speaking Engagements (partial)
- The Law of Strict Tort Liability (1977)
- The Law of Texas Medical Malpractice (2nd ed. 1985)
- Who Will Speak for the Victim?: A Practical Treatise on Plaintiff’s Jury Argument (1989)
- Editor, Who Will Speak For Justice? (1999)
- I Remember Atticus: Inspiring Stories Every Trial Lawyer Should Know (2004)
- Winning With Stories: Using the Narrative to Persuade in Trials, Speeches & Lectures (2006)
- Author of Chapter 37 entitled “Opening Statement” for ATLA’s Litigating Tort Cases, Vol. 3 (2003).
- Courtroom Persuasion, Louisiana Association for Justice, 2012.